Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MyFace vs. MySpace


In the world of the new Internet, social networking is key. There's much more at stake when various social networking sites are pitted against one another than a growing fan base. Social networking sites receive hefty dividends based on the amount of traffic their users generate, therefore it is in each sites best interest to have more active users. Apparently Facebook is gaining on the popularity of MySpace and in the battle for social media supremacy, there may soon be a new champion. Facebook has changed so much in the three years that I have been on the site to appeal to a broader audience as well as to become a more effective source of revenue. Facebook in just a few short years has been opened up to non-college students, business, advertisers, etc. and it has changed the ideology of the site tremendously. At times people have become upset with the way things have been handled since Google acquired Facebook. The Web 2.0 economy is changing the landscape of so many things that people once looked at as personal online communities and when the doors are opened to shareholders eager to get their hands on peoples' pocketbooks, it's usually not taken lightly. Facebook has become much more intrusive and the fact that underhanded information harvesting is done by using user submitted information, it's personally taken away some of the allure of the site for me.

2 comments:

Christine Pegg said...

I was one of those people who left MySpace for Facebook, as my primary social networking site. I don't like many of the changes Facebook has made in the past few years. I like things simple. I'm still hoping the Facebook layout will go back to the way it was.

Sherry Mauch said...

I was also a user who left myspace for facebook, and since then I haven't really touched my myspace even though I haven't deleted it. What was interesting to me was that for my internship I had to search for potential friends for our company on both myspace and facebook, and the search engines on facebook were so much easier to use in terms of searching based on common interests, etc. In my opinion myspace has some catching up to do, but facebook may also be going a little too far.